Truck driver's body finally found
The body of Auckland truck driver Stuart James Barnes has been found after three days of searching.
Sergeant Graeme Crosson said Barnes' body had been buried by the collapsed side of the ravine the truck was found in.
The crash had caused parts of the ravine bank to slip.
The body could not be located until the truck debris and cargo had been moved. A digger was brought in to shift the collapsed parts of the bank and clear the nearby stream bed where the search focused today.
Barnes was 59-years-old when he died and was driving a Freight Lines truck down the Kaikoura Coast.
Barnes's truck crashed on State Highway 1 near Hundalee.
It plunged down a 45 metre deep ravine and heavy machinery was required to move the bulk of the wreck.
Today's search effort was concentrated on a nearby stream with a digger called in to work through the stream area.
The truck and its cargo have been taken to Christchurch for investigation.
Police said without a crane the rescue would not have been possible.
"Police would like to acknowledge the patience and understanding shown by his family during what has been a protracted and difficult search."
Barnes was based in Papakura in South Auckland.
His neighbours described him as an extremely friendly person.
- The Press
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam