Boy 'runs' into road, breaks leg
A schoolboy hit by a car in Christchurch ''shot out'' from behind a parked truck on the side of the road, says the driver.
New Brighton mother Vanessa Snelgar, 39, was taking someone to work in a ute after dropping her children off at school when the crash happened on the corner of Keyes Rd and Lonsdale St about 8.20am.
''I was driving slowly through road works and . . . as I was passing this truck this boy just shot out in front of the truck and did not see me until it was too late," Snelgar said.
''I had to swerve at the last minute to avoid hitting him front on.''
Snelgar said the incident happened ''fast'' and left her upset and in shock.
''I had just dropped my own kids off at school. The last thing you want to do is hurt someone else's kid.
''He was running [and] had his cellphone in his hand. He did not stop to look and just went straight into me.''
A St John spokesman said a 10-year-old boy was taken to Christchurch Hospital with a fractured femur.
Snelgar said she had spoken to police, was ''not at fault'' and was relieved there were ''lots of witnesses - a whole road full of road workers''.
''People have to be aware that kids are not always looking both ways when they cross," she said.
- The Press
Should doctors and patients be friends on Facebook?Related story: Doctors struggle to maintain boundaries
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam