A 49-year-old man is denying a charge of assaulting a woman who was found injured in the street after an alleged incident at a gang pad in Northcote.
Mark Thomas McKersey, who lives near where the woman was found early on June 29, entered a not-guilty plea before Judge Emma Smith in the Christchurch District Court today.
Members of the public found the woman, injured and distressed, on the corner of the Main North and Vagues roads.
Police said she told them she had been strangled until she was unconscious at a gang address nearby.
McKersey was remanded on bail to a case review hearing on August 26, a step on the way to a trial.
- The Press
Should park land be turned into carparking for Jellie Park?Related story: Car park plan shows 'breathtaking arrogance'
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam