Ex-cop faces charges after evading arrest
A court hearing for a former high-ranking policeman who evaded arrest by fleeing the country has been adjourned until next month.
Ex-police inspector Gary William Campbell returned from Australia last month after a warrant for his arrest was withdrawn.
Campbell faces three charges after the Christchurch retirement village he owned, Crossdale Courts, went bust owing millions of dollars in 2008.
The case was scheduled to be called at the Auckland District Court yesterday.
Lawyer Michael Mann said the hearing was adjourned until August 20 to allow experts to complete medical assessments of Campbell, who suffered from dementia.
- The Press
What infuriates you most about driving in Christchurch?Related story: City congestion demands action
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam