Man killed in Winton crash
A 24-year-old dairy farmer has died after a crash north of Winton, Southland, in the early hours of this morning.
Western Southland area response manager Senior Sergeant Cynthia Fairley said emergency services responded to the crash in Limehills-Browns Rd in Western Southland about 3am.
Only one vehicle, a Toyota Land Cruiser, was involved.
It appeared to have crossed onto the wrong side of the road and hit a concrete power pole before coming to rest in a ditch, Fairley said.
The power pole was dislodged at the base, but remained upright due to the wires.
The driver of vehicle was trapped inside and was found dead, she said.
Ambulance, fire crews and lines company PowerNet attended.
The door of the vehicle was removed to allow access to the driver.
Fairley said the weather had been fine and the road was dry at the time of the crash.
Southland District Council assisted with road closures. Detours were created while the scene was examined and the vehicle recovered.
The vehicle has been transported to Invercargill for inspection.
A serious crash investigator attended the scene to forensically map it.
The investigation into the cause of the crash, including whether or not speed and alcohol were involved, was continuing.
The farmer's name will not be released until next of kin have been advised.
- The Southland Times
Have you had a ticket in the last five years?Related story: Canterbury speed camera use rises sharply
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam