Final job losses at Solid Energy's Stockton mine have been confirmed, with 184 employees and contractors being made redundant.
The state-owned company announced in early June that a restructure at the West Coast mine would result in redundancies.
Today it confirmed that 134 employees and 50 contractors had been made redundant in the shuffle. Originally it had said 137 employees would lose their jobs.
New Zealand's largest open-cast coal mine would reduce production by 500,000 tonnes per annum over the next year.
When it announced the restructure, Solid Energy cited low international coking coal prices as the reason behind the move.
- The Press
Should the cenotaph be moved to Cranmer Square?Related story: (See story)
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam