Christchurch police are investigating an "unexplained" death at a Papanui property.
Senior Sergeant Angela Grace said police were called to the Vagues Rd house about 11.30pm yesterday and guarded the property as investigations got under way.
The death was initially treated as suspicious, but Grace said it was now "unexplained".
She would not release details of the deceased.
"We would rather not [say] at this stage. We need to identify them and contact the next of kin," she said.
Grace would not say if anything sinister had occurred, but police were not seeking anyone or speaking to residents in the area.
"We have to go through a process," she said.
"With an unexplained death, we run it through the pathologist, and once we get the results from him, we then decide where to take it after that."
- The Press
Should police carry guns?Related story: Mike Yardley: Cops need guns
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam