A 55-year-old Oamaru man is facing 48 historic sexual abuse and assault charges.
The man was given name suppression when he appeared in the Timaru District Court before Judge Joanna Maze late yesterday.
He faces 10 charges of sexual violation by rape, 19 of sexual violation by unlawful sexual connection, five of performing an indecent act with intent to offend, eight of performing an indecent act, and charges of indecent assault, attempted sexual violation by rape, attempted sexual violation by unlawful connection, assaulting a female, and assault with a weapon.
The offending is alleged to have have occurred between 1999 and 2011.
The man has been remanded on bail to reappear in the Timaru District Court on August 21.
Terms of his bail included not travelling south of Timaru and not associating with named people.
- The Timaru Herald
Which is the best bar in Christchurch?Related story: Raise a glass to Volstead
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam