South Canterbury firefighters battle scrub fire
Five tankers have been sent to the scene of a major scrub fire in South Canterbury.
Are you near there? Do you have pictures or videos of it? What are the strong winds doing in your area? Email email@example.com.
Firefighters from across the region have been sent to help fight the fire on Monavale Road, between Cave and Albury, which started at 3.22pm.
The fire service has sent two pumps, five tankers and a command unit.
Metservice meterologist Liz Walsh said Fairlie has had some quite windy conditions today, with gusts of around 86kmh recorded at 3pm. However, during the past hour the wind had dropped to 51kmh.
There is a possibility of gusty conditions in inland Canterbury until 10pm and winds are expected to ease slightly overnight into tomorrow, before increasing again.
Walsh said tomorrow's gusts might reach up to 130kmh.
The strong north-westerly flow would last until Saturday, she said.
- The Timaru Herald
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam