A man who killed a Dunedin bar patron in April has pleaded guilty to manslaughter.
Dunedin man Stephen Fernyhough, 25, had been charged with murder of Ryan John Court, 35, in a city bar in April this year, but yesterday pleaded guilty to manslaughter.
The High Court in Dunedin was told Fernyhough had an altercation with Court in the toilet of Craft Bar in Dunedin's Octagon on April 27, the Otago Daily Times reported.
An autopsy showed Court's death was the result of Fernyhough holding him in a choker hold which could result in the heart stopping.
Fernyhough said he had not meant to kill Court. He will be sentenced in September.
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam