Christchurch police probe unexplained death
Detectives are investigating a "unexplained death" in Christchurch this morning.
Paramedics called police to the scene of the death, a residential home for elderly people in Orlando Cres, Waimairi Beach, about 6.30am.
Detective Inspector Greg Murton said a man, aged in his 70s, was found dead in his bedroom by a caregiver shortly after 6am.
The cause of the man's death was unknown.
Detectives were investigating because the circumstances in which the man was found were "a little unusual", Murton said
He would not elaborate further.
"It's unexplained more than suspicious."
There was no suggestion of foul play, he said.
An autopsy would be carried out tomorrow.
"We'll be working on it until cause of death is established."
- The Press
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam