Warm and very windy conditions on Otago Harbour caused some moored vessels to take an unscheduled voyage this week.
Salvage crews converged on Portobello Rd this morning to a yacht sent crashing against the harbourside road's seawall yesterday.
Senior Constable Lox Kellas, of Portobello, said the unidentified yacht, which could not be refloated because of damage to its hull, was hauled out of Edwards Bay in Otago Harbour by a crane crew.
Its mast had been leaning dangerously into Portobello Rd, a hazard to large vehicles travelling in the outside lane, he said.
The MetService has issued a grim weekend forecast of more gales for Dunedin.Strong to gale northwesterlies affected many eastern areas of the South Island this week.
Weekend gusts could reach 130kmh in exposed areas of Southland and Otago, MetService said.
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam