Glass thrown in bar causes serious eye injuries
Surgeons are operating on a woman today after a shard of shattered glass flew into her eye at a Nelson bar.
The glass object was thrown by a member of a group who were kicked out of the Star and Garter Tavern, in Richmond, about 3am.
Police are seeking assistance from the public to identify the group.
"A group was ejected from the bar about 3am and shortly after a member of that group threw a glass object back into the smoking area of the tavern. The glass shattered and a shard lodged into the eye of a woman patron who was seated in the area," police said.
The woman, who is in her 30s, sustained serious injuries to her eye and was being operated on in Nelson Hospital.
Anyone who was there or had information on the group should phone Detective Sergeant Mark Kaveney on 03 546 3840 or the anonymous Crimestoppers line on 0800 555 111.
- Fairfax Media
Which is your favourite Christchurch beach?Related story: Sumner beach: A holiday spot in the city
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam