A building in central Christchurch where hundreds of private documents were stored had been broken into on two previous occasions, says the Christchurch City Council.
The council yesterday said that it knew for months about security breaches at Re:Start mall that led to private documents flying around the city.
Hundreds of notices containing residents' personal information were discovered around the mall last week with the council blaming a "criminal act" for the breach.
It claimed the building was secure before last Thursday but acknowledged that the Lichfield St car park building had been found insecure on two previous occasions - in October 2013 and in March this year. It blamed vandals for the offence.
"We responded upon notification and resecured the building," council facilities and infrastructure director David Adamson said. "We are working to ensure a similar incident will not occur in the future."
- The Press
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam