Police in Nelson are still searching for a man who stole a car and took off.
The man stole a blue Holden Commodore from a Richmond address near Nelson around 3pm today.
The owner of the car saw it being taken and called police.
An unmarked police car chased the speeding vehicle along Wakatu Drive and into the suburb of Annesbrook.
It was reported that the car hit a cyclist near McDonald's restaurant in Lower Queen Street, Richmond, as well as other vehicles in its path, before crashing in Scotia Street.
However, Nelson police later said the cyclist actually fell off his bike as the car passed.
"The car was going past, [the cyclist] didn't actually get hit by the car... which then proceeded to crash down the road," a police spokesman said.
"It looks like the cyclist was okay. He's not damaged."
The driver, described as dark-skinned, ran off and is yet to be found.
Police are seeking witnesses. Anyone with information should call Nelson Police on 03 546 3840, or call anonymously to CrimeStoppers 0800 555 111.
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam