An arsonist destroyed the building of a Christchurch mechanic who maintains the region's ambulances, forcing him to operate from a makeshift workshop for months. The fire is estimated to have caused more than $100,000 in damage to Dean Milligan's Milligan Automotive on Hazeldean Rd on Sunday morning.
Engineering projects across Queensland have had to be reassessed after Gerald Shirtcliffe worked on them using a fake name and qualifications. Shirtcliffe, under the truncated name Gerald Shirtcliff, featured in the New Zealand royal commission into the Christchurch earthquakes last year over his role supervising the construction of the CTV building, which collapsed on February 22 2011, killing 115 people.
Hundreds of people came out on Friday night to check out the new Stranges Lane development in Christchurch.
A world-first project overlaying real-time health data with air pollution information is taking off in Christchurch with the recruitment of citizen data collectors. The trust leading the project, Sensing City, wants to recruit 150 chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) sufferers in collaboration with the Canterbury District Health Board (CDHB).
And finally, Lotto players in Ashburton will want to check their tickets, as one of them is about to net $14.4 million from Lotto's Powerball first division. The prized ticket was sold at Countdown Ashburton.
- The Press
Which is your favourite Christchurch beach?Related story: Sumner beach: A holiday spot in the city
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam