The High Court trial of Timothy Joseph Foley, 54, who is charged with the murder of a woman at a house in the Christchurch suburb of Linwood in June 2012, has been delayed.
Justice Christian Whata held closed-court sessions before the decision to put off the scheduled two-week trial. The jury panel was then brought into court to be addressed by the judge and sent away.
The judge suppressed all details of the closed-court discussions.
Foley has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Michelle Mary Lawrence after an incident on June 10, 2012.
She was taken to hospital with critical injuries and died three weeks later.
Justice Whata adjourned the trial and remanded Foley in custody to a High Court pretrial call-over on Friday next week, when a new trial date may be set.
- The Press
Which design do you prefer for Christchurch's earthquake memorial?Related story: Christchurch quake memorial plans revealed
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam