A North Canterbury insurance saleswoman was drunk and had consumed cannabis when she crashed her car into a power pole and died, a coroner has found.
Coroner David Crerar said in his findings Alana Elizabeth Adams, 29, died after her car veered off Flaxton Rd in Rangiora and crashed into a power pole about 4am on March 3 last year.
The cause of death was "high-energy impact to head and limbs". Her car then caught fire.
The coroner said Adams was intoxicated and doing more than 100kmh in a zone temporarily designated 50kmh for roadworks.
Adams and her partner had planned to stay at the Anglers Arms in Sefton on the evening of March 3.
The couple went to a party together but had an argument later that night, and Adams - upset and angry - drove off in her Holden Commodore.
Her car was found by other motorists embedded in a concrete power pole.
Adams' vehicle was travelling between 109kmh and 120kmh when she lost control, the coroner said.
The car was travelling between 87kmh and 97kmh when it hit the pole and burst into flames. She was probably unconscious or dead when the car caught fire as there were no traces of soot in her lungs, he said.
Forensic toxicologists found Adams' blood-alcohol level was nearly three times over the legal limit and traces of cannabis were in her system.
Adams' death was a further example of the fatal consequences of alcohol and cannabis consumption by the driver of a motor vehicle, he said.
- The Press
Which is the best bar in Christchurch?Related story: Raise a glass to Volstead
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam