South Island firefighters started the day dealing with three fires this morning, including a suspicious blaze in central Christchurch.
Fire investigators and police are investigating a fire in a Kilmore St commercial property in Christchurch about 5.30am.
Fire Service south communications shift manager Brent Dunn said the scene had been handed to police after firefighters found the fire on the first floor of the two-storey building.
It had been a small fire, taking 40 minutes to put out, he said.
West Coast crews earlier attended a house fire in Greymouth just before 5am. There were no injuries at the O'Donnell St address, and the fire had been extinguished, Dunn said.
It was not being treated as suspicious.
Firefighters in Southland were dampening hot spots at a Riverton Otautau Rd property in Gropers Bush after a fire at 6.15am.
Dunn said five crews worked to contain the blaze, and an ambulance was sent to the scene to treat the a woman for suspected smoke inhalation.
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam