Mum, two kids escape Southland house fire
A mum and her two kids clambered through a window to escape a fire that ripped through their house on a Southland dairy farm this morning.
Unfortunately, the family dog died in the fire and two cats are missing.
Thornbury Volunteer Fire Brigade chief fire officer Andrew Hall said the family had moved into the house on a dairy farm owned by Southland District Councillor Rodney Dobson a month ago.
The woman's husband was out milking the cows when the fire started about 6am. The modern brick home between Riverton and Otautau was left in ruins.
''The husband was out doing his job when his wife heard a noise about 6am,'' Hall said.
Smoke and flames forced the woman to grab her kids and head for the window. It appeared all other exits were blocked, he said.
''They were lucky to get out.''
Thornbury, Riverton, Otautau and Wallacetown fire crews worked to contain the blaze, and an ambulance was sent to the scene to treat a woman for suspected smoke inhalation.
- The Southland Times
Where do you stand on the sale of Flock Hill station?Related story: Flock Hill farm sold to US company
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam