Ashburton fire investigators will return this morning to the scene of a suspicious fire that destroyed a house.
Fire investigator Kevin Collins spent several hours at the Leeston St address last night, but had found no definitive cause for the fire.
It appeared the fire had started in the front of the house about 6.30pm yesterday, before going on to cause extensive fire, heat and smoke damage to the entire property, he said.
No-one was home at the time, but a tenant returned while three fire crews battled the blaze.
The homeowner, who lives at the property, would be shocked when they returned from a holiday in Australia, Collins said.
He did not know if the property was insured.
- The Press
Is giving a bottle opener to school leavers perpetuating a culture of heavy drinking?Related story: Christ's College 'perpetuates drinking culture'
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam