Three people are in hospital after a blaze engulfed two neighbouring houses in Dunedin overnight.
Fire crews were called to the Andersons Bay properties about 10.15pm yesterday and were still at the scene at 7am today, senior communicator Daryl Ball said.
"On arrival we found [the fire] going well and unfortunately due to high winds it spread to another house," Ball said.
Three people from the first house, a two-storey dwelling, were taken to hospital suffering burns and smoke inhalation.
Five fire engines were at the scene.
An investigation into what caused the fire would begin this morning.
Is giving a bottle opener to school leavers perpetuating a culture of heavy drinking?Related story: Christ's College 'perpetuates drinking culture'
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam