Teen flown from ski field with broken leg
A 17-year-old girl had to be flown to hospital after breaking her leg on a back-country ski field.
The incident happened while the teenage was skiing behind the Ohau Snow Fields in mid-Canterbury yesterday afternoon.
Westpac Rescue Helicopter intensive care paramedic Mike McLintock said emergency services were called about 4.30pm, but the girl had "some wait unfortunately" because the South Island's rescue helicopters were busy with other jobs, including a fatal helicopter crash near Wanaka.
A rescue helicopter was needed because of the difficult terrain and distance from the Ohau Snow Fields, he said. The teenager was flown to Christchurch Hospital for further treatment.
- The Press
Which design do you prefer for Christchurch's earthquake memorial?Related story: Christchurch quake memorial plans revealed
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam