A quick-thinking passerby used a garden hose to save a Christchurch mother and her two children from a potentially devastating house fire.
Police are investigating after someone lit a fire in the garage under the family's Hereford St, Linwood, home about 3.30am yesterday.
Detective Sergeant Chris Power said a passerby saw the fire and was able to help the mother and her two children escape before the blaze took hold.
''He did everything right. He pretty much extinguished the fire with a garden hose by himself.''
Power said the house did not experience any structural damage from the fire, but the family lost a substantial amount of possessions they had been storing in the garage.
Police had ''serious concerns'' about the incident and were treating it as arson, he said.
- The Press
Which is the best bar in Christchurch?Related story: Raise a glass to Volstead
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam