Marlborough deputy mayor in booze sting
Criterion Hotel owner Terry Sloan is to lose his manager's certificate for 28 days after he served alcohol to a minor at his Blenheim bar.
Police made an application to the Alcohol Regulatory Licensing Authority to suspend Sloan's manager's certificate after alcohol was served to a 16-year-old boy and a 17-year-old girl at Biddy Kate's Irish Bar on Market St in April.
Sloan, Marlborough's deputy mayor who has owned the Market St bar for the past decade, said he was angry with himself.
A staff member had called in sick and he had stepped in on the day it happened. He was changing the beer kegs over when he served the minor, he said.
It was the first time he had served an underage person in 10 years, he said.
His certificate was to be suspended for 28 days from August 28, while the bar would close for 24 hours on the same day.
Biddy Kate's was one of four Blenheim bars that failed the controlled purchase operation in April.
Fairweathers Bar, Paddy Barrys Irish Bar, and Scotch Wine Bar also failed the alcohol sting.
Fairweathers closed for 24 hours on Thursday last week, while Paddy Barrys is set to close for 24 hours on August 28.
A spokesman for the Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority said an application had been made for the suspension of the licence for Scotch Wine Bar but the authority had yet to make a decision.
- The Marlborough Express
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam