Manslaughter charges over body in drain
Four people have been charged with the manslaughter of Ashburton man Arran Gairns in May.
Detective Senior Sergeant Marion Neill of the Timaru police said charges had been laid against three men and a woman.
They are expected to appear in the Timaru District Court on Thursday.
Gairns was found dead in a drainage run-off area in Ashburton.
Police previously said Gairns drowned.
The four people had earlier been charged with assault with intent to rob.
They were Desmond Kapi Marshall, 46, of Ashburton, Wellington woman Olivia Toby Frances Lucas, 26, Mayfield man Verdun Ashley Perry, 24, and Ashburton man Kooly Managki Te Tomo, 26.
Marshall has pleaded guilty to assault with intent to rob and was due to be sentenced on August 28.
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam