Shaking off my fear of quakes
Have you overcome your greatest fear?Share your stories, photos and videos.
What's your greatest fear? Have you managed to overcome it? We asked our readers to tell us about the scariest things in their lives.
Sara Fenn found out that surviving the darkest days in Christchurch helped her beat fear.
As a child growing up in Blenheim, there were times when we felt little tremors every time Wellington had a shake.
These little tremors would scare me half to death, as I was convinced the ground was going to open up and I would be swallowed, never to be seen again.
Have lived in Christchurch since 1996, I have had to face my biggest fear many times over.
The adrenaline rush every time a shake came caused fatigue that I've never known before.
Over time I became de-sensitised to them and I no longer have this issue.
In fact, I believe that as a result, I have been able to overcome a number of other fears that plagued me because I survived the darkest one.
Have you faced your worst fear? Click the contribute button below to find out more about sharing the experience here on stuff.
View all contributions
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam