An elderly couple who lost everything when their home burnt down are selling their old section to try to "move on" with life.
Victor and Pearl Hewitt lost everything except the clothes they were wearing when their Bewdley St, Christchurch, house was destroyed by fire on July 31.
The fire was caused by unattended cooking and took just minutes to spread through their home of 26 years.
Victor, 89, and his wife Pearl, 85, were rescued by two passing builders but were unable to salvage any of their possessions and did not have insurance.
Their burnt-out home and section were now on the market to help the couple "move on . . . with life", real estate agent Annette Warner said.
The section would go to auction on September 18, unless it was sold prior. "It's quite a unique property in every possible way," Warner said.
There had been "quite a bit of interest" in the property already, including from a few developers and some looking to build their own family homes.
"The more the better though," Warner said. "It would be great to get top dollar for [the Hewitts] so they could move on. It's been their home for a long time."
The section would be sold "as is, where is", meaning the new owners would need to demolish the burnt-out house themselves.
The Hewitts "just wanted to walk away", Warner said.
The couple have been resettled in rental accommodation.
- The Press
Should police carry guns?Related story: Mike Yardley: Cops need guns
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam