Police still hunting for hit-and-run driver
Police are still searching for a driver who left an elderly Christchurch cyclist with broken ribs and a fractured vertebrae.
The 77-year-old cyclist was seriously injured when he was hit by a car pulling onto Bealey Ave from Geraldine St just after 8am on August 26.
The driver failed to stop, leaving the elderly man lying on the road.
Constable Glen Alder said the cyclist was likely to remain in Christchurch Hospital ''for quite a while''.
''He'll be in a full body cast for six weeks or so.''
Police had been unable to find the driver of the car, but were still investigating, Alder said.
The vehicle was believed to be of an older style and grey in colour.
The cyclist had been wearing a bright orange fleece top with a reflective vest and dark-coloured helmet.
Anyone who saw the crash should call Christchurch police on 03 363 7400 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- The Press
Should doctors and patients be friends on Facebook?Related story: Doctors struggle to maintain boundaries
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam