The Christchurch City Council's $17 million deal to buy five properties from developer Dave Henderson is an "utter disgrace", says National MP Gerry Brownlee.
"It would appear the council is either going to set itself up as a developer or has become a banking service for Mr Henderson," he said.
Cr Yani Johanson was outraged by the deal.
"It is absolutely amazing that this council can find $17m to prop up a property developer but cannot find money to prop up rents for our most vulnerable tenants," he said.
"It is an appalling decision. The reality is it is a bailout for an individual and I do not believe in the council doing that."
Left-leaning political group Christchurch 2021, along with Crs Helen Broughton and Chrissie Williams, said the deal was a bailout.
Mayor Bob Parker said accusations of a bailout were "cynical". The sites would be protected from poor development and big-box retail.
"I do not regard it as a bailout. I regard it as a move the city needed to take," he said.
"It is a really bold move we have taken and it shows we are very committed to inner-city revitalisation."
Council chief executive Tony Marryatt also defended the deal.
"It is not a great deal for Dave Henderson. It is a great deal for the council," he said.
"This may be helping Dave, but it is a great deal for the city. We are putting our money where our mouth is." Charlie Gates
- The Press
Should illegal woodburners be hunted down and removed?Related story: ECan on hunt for illegal burners
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam