A 300-bed, five-star hotel is being planned for Lake Tekapo.
Tekapo Lake Resort Ltd has bought some council-owned surplus land between State Highway 8 and Lakeside Drive, where it plans to build a five-star resort with at least 110 units.
Tekapo Lake Resort director Anthony Tosswill said the resort would be developed in two stages. It would will include about 300 beds, a conference centre, restaurant, gym, sauna, lap pool, shop, hire centre and other facilities.
The company has also bought land in Aorangi Drive to build 52 staff accommodation units.
Mackenzie District Mayor Claire Barlow said she had received feedback from the tourism industry that Tekapo needed more accommodation options. The number of visitors to the district was steadily increasing.
"This new development will help to meet that need," Barlow said.
"The council will work with Mr Tosswill and Tekapo Lake Resort throughout the coming months to approve the concept plans and ensure that the new buildings meet the requirements of the district plan.
"This is an exciting time for Tekapo with a lot of changes on the horizon. We have listened to the feedback provided by the community at the two public meetings held earlier this year and we are considering all of this as we move forward."
Which is the best bar in Christchurch?Related story: Raise a glass to Volstead
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam