"It's official, it's official, it's official…we won" - Nicky Wagner shouted with delight to a small gathering of supporters at her home this afternoon as she read a text confirming she had won the seat for Christchurch Central.
Wagner beat Labour's Brendon Burns by 45 votes.
The crowd sung "For She's a Jolly Good Fellow" and raised champagne glasses to toast Wagner who could not stop smiling.
"This is awesome. The most amazing thing are the people here with me today who have been involved for nine years. It's very exciting. It's like a repeat of election night. I have never imagined it - I didn't dare."
The Electoral Commission had to count around 240,000 special votes.
The nervous wait for the special-vote count to come in this afternoon decided an historic election tie. The result brought an end Labour's 60-year hold on Christchurch Central, which ended in a dead heat on election night with Labour's Brendon Burns and National rival Nikki Wagner tied on 10,493 votes each.
Special votes were initially thought to favour Labour's Brendon Burns over National Party challenger Nicky Wagner in Christchurch Central, but there was uncertainty over the outcome of a recount of regular votes.
Mr Burns’ loss sees him out of Parliament.
A judicial recount was likely if the margin was fewer than 20 votes.
- Fairfax Media
Should illegal woodburners be hunted down and removed?Related story: ECan on hunt for illegal burners
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam