Chch bands in rockquest top 20
Two Christchurch bands are among the top 20 teen bands in New Zealand.
Mirum, comprising members from Christchurch Boys' High School, Christchurch Adventist School and Cashmere High School, and Half Mountain, made up of pupils from Unimited Paenga Tawhiti and Hagley Community College, have been selected in the lead-up to the finals of Smokefreerockquest 2012.
Glenn Common, the competition's director, said that the standard set by the 700 entrants in this year's competition was high.
''There are more bands reaching that higher level. They are presenting themselves more professionally and they have more than just the two songs that they need to compete at the regionals,'' he said.
''They are really getting to grips with songwriting and producing original music of a standard that has the potential to take them into the music industry.''
There were so many entrants that Canterbury and Auckland central had to hold two regional finals.
The top 20 finalists either won their regional final or were selected via Rockshop Second Chance, an opportunity for bands that felt they did not do their best on the night and were able to send in a video for judging.
These bands will now be judged on their submitted DVDs by representatives from Smokefreerockquest, NZ On Air and from the music industry, with the top eight national finalists announced next week.
The top eight will play off at the national final in Hamilton on September 22.
- The Press
Should the Christchurch City Council sell some of its assets?Related story: Council asset sales mooted to help raise $900m
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam