A Christchurch City councillor has undergone surgery today after being diagnosed with lung cancer.
Claudia Reid, who represents the Banks Peninsula ward, said she expected to make a full recovery.
In a statement issued by the council, Reid said she was likely to be absent from council duties for at least a month.
Mayor Bob Parker described Reid as "a special friend'' and wished her a speedy recovery.
"She's a wonderful person and we are all feeling deeply concerned for her,'' he said.
Reid was employed by Parker when he was Banks Peninsula mayor several years ago, and he was so impressed by her abilities that he encouraged her to run for public office.
"Claudia is an outstanding person; one of the wisest and most conscientious people I know,'' he said.
Reid heads the council's environment and infrastructure committee.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Do we need a temporary quake memorial?Related story: Memorial needed now, says CTV widower
2 Great Kiwi Road Trips worth over $10K to be won including flights, accommodation, rental car, and amazing experiences along the way!
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Keep up with the latest Christchurch community news
Keep up with the latest Central Canterbury news
Keep up with the latest North Canterbury news
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam
View the changing landscape of our CBD