Family escapes Greymouth house fire
A mother and her two young children managed to escape a fire that "extensively damaged" their Greymouth home.
Emergency services were called to the blaze on Tasman St, in the southern suburb of Karoro, about 7.43pm.
A Fire Service spokesman said trucks were sent from Greymouth, Cobden and Dobson volunteer fire stations.
The fire was not being treated as suspicious, he said.
Greymouth deputy chief fire officer Graeme O'Dea said all persons were accounted for and out before fire crews arrived.
No one was injured.
O'Dea said the fire caused about 50 per cent damage to the house.
Fire Safety are to investigate the blaze.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Should the Christchurch City Council ban smoking inside its housing units?Related story: (See story)
2 Great Kiwi Road Trips worth over $10K to be won including flights, accommodation, rental car, and amazing experiences along the way!
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Keep up with the latest Christchurch community news
Keep up with the latest Central Canterbury news
Keep up with the latest North Canterbury news
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam
View the changing landscape of our CBD