A man who was allegedly involved in two armed bids to get drugs at pharmacies has been remanded in custody.
Richard Darcy Barton, 47, unemployed, was charged with demanding drugs with menaces at the Selwyn St, Spreydon, pharmacy at 9am on Friday and with the armed robbery of the Addington Pharmacy less than three hours later.
Police allege the offender was ordered out of the first shop by the pharmacist, and Barton was found close to the scene of the second incident where drugs had been handed over. They say the offender had put a knife on the counter.
At the request of defence counsel Kerry Cook, Christchurch District Court Judge Gary MacAskill granted the remand without plea to Friday, and Barton will remain in custody.
Barton has indicated he will enter pleas to the charges at his next court appearance.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Should we build more cycleways on pavements and berms?Related story: Off-road cycle tracks way to go
2 Great Kiwi Road Trips worth over $10K to be won including flights, accommodation, rental car, and amazing experiences along the way!
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Keep up with the latest Christchurch community news
Keep up with the latest Central Canterbury news
Keep up with the latest North Canterbury news
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam
View the changing landscape of our CBD