Man charged with attack on teenager
A man faces charges after he was alleged to have assaulted a high school pupil in Linwood.
A police spokesman said the Mairehau High School pupil was waiting at a bus stop near the corner of Linwood Ave and Cashel St when a 45-year-old man allegedly assaulted him about 11am.
He said three witnesses claimed to have seen the man, a sickness beneficiary, start the fight.
It is understood two members of the public intervened and separated the pair.
The man told police that the boy was spitting close to him. He told him to stop and the teenager assaulted him.
Both the teenager and the man suffered facial injuries during the incident.
The spokesman said the man was "beaten up reasonably badly".
"He's ended up on the ground at some stage. There was a pool of blood that was all his,'' he said.
''He's got a nasty laceration to his left eye. It looks like the boy got a decent punch in at some stage."
The man was charged with assault with intent to injure, but the charge could be changed if the teenager was found to have a serious injury, he said.
The teenager was taken to Christchurch Hospital with a suspected neck injury.
- The Press
Who do you think won Key v Cunliffe's second debate?Related story: Leaders debate reveals more even contest
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam