One person has died and several injured after a van crashed in Southland.
A police spokesman said the fatal crash occurred in near the intersection of Wreys Bush-Mossburn Rd, about 4km from Mossburn.
He said police, who had just arrived at the scene, were alerted to the incident about 6.48pm.
"There have also been several people who have been injured."
He understood only one vehicle was involved.
Fire and ambulance were also at the scene.
A St John spokesman confirmed there was one fatality and that two people had serious injuries. Three also had moderate to minor injuries.
He said two helicopters and four ambulances had responded.
Police are investigating.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Would you live in a factory-built home?Related story: Factory-built homes on way
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Pick up The Weekend Press and Sunday Star-Times from Saturday February 22 to Sunday March 9, find the keyword and be in to win.
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Keep up with the latest Christchurch community news
Keep up with the latest Central Canterbury news
Keep up with the latest North Canterbury news
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam