One person has died and several injured after a van crashed in Southland.
A police spokesman said the fatal crash occurred in near the intersection of Wreys Bush-Mossburn Rd, about 4km from Mossburn.
He said police, who had just arrived at the scene, were alerted to the incident about 6.48pm.
"There have also been several people who have been injured."
He understood only one vehicle was involved.
Fire and ambulance were also at the scene.
A St John spokesman confirmed there was one fatality and that two people had serious injuries. Three also had moderate to minor injuries.
He said two helicopters and four ambulances had responded.
Police are investigating.
- Fairfax Media
What's the best option for cutting the council's $800m funding shortfall?Related story: (See story)
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam