The teenager who drowned at Lake Pegasus in Canterbury yesterday has been named as Tominiko Junior Pelenato from Christchurch.
Police said the 16-year old boy had been swimming in the lake with a group, but got into trouble. The others tried to assist him but he slipped away.
His body was found 20 minutes later.
Local iwi have placed a rahui (ritual prohibition) on the lake and people have been asked not to swim there until it has been blessed and the tapu has been lifted.
Connor Roberts, a spokesman for the Todd Property Group, which owns the Pegasus Town development, said the company expressed its condolences.
"This is an extremely distressing time for the family and we express our condolences to all those involved. Given the the lead up to Christmas, this is extra tragic."
Police and ambulance attended the scene.
Police say the death will be referred to the coroner.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Which do you think is the quote of the year?Related story: Best quotes? Cats, sweat and Aaron Gilmore
2 Great Kiwi Road Trips worth over $10K to be won including flights, accommodation, rental car, and amazing experiences along the way!
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Keep up with the latest Christchurch community news
Keep up with the latest Central Canterbury news
Keep up with the latest North Canterbury news
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam
View the changing landscape of our CBD