Driver killed when car plunges down bank
A 63-year-old Marlborough Sounds man is dead after the car he was driving plunged nearly 200 metres off a bank today.
Police spokeswoman Barbara Dunn said the man was driving on Te Towaka Port Ligar Rd when his car left the road shortly before 3pm.
The driver was thrown from the vehicle.
He was found dead at the scene.
Dunn said a person mowing the roadside saw the crash.
A helicopter went to the crash site with a police officer on board.
The man's name was expected to be released tomorrow.
He was the only occupant in the car. No other vehicles were involved.
Dunn said a police serious crash unit was investigating the cause.
She did not know where the man was headed when he crashed.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Should dumpster diving be illegal?Related story: Six arrested for raiding supermarket skip
2 Great Kiwi Road Trips worth over $10K to be won including flights, accommodation, rental car, and amazing experiences along the way!
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Keep up with the latest Christchurch community news
Keep up with the latest Central Canterbury news
Keep up with the latest North Canterbury news
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam