Driver killed when car plunges down bank
A 63-year-old Marlborough Sounds man is dead after the car he was driving plunged nearly 200 metres off a bank today.
Police spokeswoman Barbara Dunn said the man was driving on Te Towaka Port Ligar Rd when his car left the road shortly before 3pm.
The driver was thrown from the vehicle.
He was found dead at the scene.
Dunn said a person mowing the roadside saw the crash.
A helicopter went to the crash site with a police officer on board.
The man's name was expected to be released tomorrow.
He was the only occupant in the car. No other vehicles were involved.
Dunn said a police serious crash unit was investigating the cause.
She did not know where the man was headed when he crashed.
- The Press
Should religion be taught in schools?Related story: 'Kitchen work' for no-bible student
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam