Police have arrested a man who was being sought for the alleged arson of a house in Birchfield Ave, Dallington, last week.
Aaron James Swan, 28, who is listed as having no fixed abode, was arrested overnight and appeared in the Christchurch District Court today.
He is charged with threatening to kill a woman on July 15, and arson of the house two days later.
Firefighters said the empty house was well ablaze when two fire engines arrived about 6.15pm.
Police issued an announcement the following day that they were seeking Swan in connection with the blaze, and released his photograph to the media.
Swan entered no pleas and sought a remand to apply for legal aid so that his assigned counsel could apply for his release on bail.
Judge Alistair Garland remanded him in custody to Friday for an appearance in court by video-link from Christchurch Men's Prison.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Would you live in a factory-built home?Related story: Factory-built homes on way
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Pick up The Weekend Press and Sunday Star-Times from Saturday February 22 to Sunday March 9, find the keyword and be in to win.
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Keep up with the latest Christchurch community news
Keep up with the latest Central Canterbury news
Keep up with the latest North Canterbury news
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam