Two hitchhikers were found stabbed and with broken bones after taking a lift near Whataroa today.
West Coast police are looking for a man who was driving a blue SUV, possibly a Nissan Terrano or similar, after he picked up two German women this afternoon.
Police said they are yet to piece together exactly what happened to the tourists but the women were found near Franz Josef, one with stab wounds and the other with broken bones.
Police believe the women’s belongings are still in the car, which is thought to be travelling south of Ross.
It is not yet clear whether there was more than one person in the car when the women were picked up, said police.
Anyone who has seen a vehicle that may fit the description should contact police immediately by calling 111.
The women's injuries were described by police as serious. It is not yet known whether they are in hospital.
- Fairfax Media
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam