Five New Zealand properties including one in Christchurch made the Expedia website's 650-strong list of "Insider Select" hotels, which it refers to as a "celebration of hotels with superior service and notable value".
The list was devised by a formula that accounted for expert opinion, overall value, and nearly two million verified guest reviews.
New Zealanders on the list:
- Amross Court Motor Lodge, Bealey Avenue, Christchurch - A picturesque motel in Christchurch's beleaguered city was praised for its quaint exterior and reviewers were keen to commend its warmth amidst the destruction that surrounds it.
- Beachside Resort, Whitianga - Its proximity to both the beach and the township came out tops for reviewers, who saw it as perfectly positioned for those who want to indulge in the delights of the Coromandel coast.
- Sofitel Queenstown Hotel and Spa, Queenstown - It's the most expensive of the New Zealand entries, but deservedly so, according to reviewers. Once again, location is key - they remarked on its proximity to the centre of town, the gondola, and perhaps best of all, its close access to cult burger joint Fergburger.
- Quest Napier Serviced Apartment, Napier - With its big, art deco entranceway, the Quest fits the town style perfectly. But it's not an old, crumbly thing - reviewers praised it for being quiet, comfortable, and having close access to the surrounding sights.
- The Crown Hotel, Napier - It's slightly more expensive than the Quest, but it offers incredible sea views. Reviewers praised its comfortable distance from town, its great views over the bay, and the generous size of its rooms.
Topping the overall list was the Lakehouse Hotel, California, praised for its retro chic, bright colours, and its many amenities, including a marina and a golf course.
- The Press
Would you like to see the Heathcote River cleaned up?Related story: Alasdair Cassels to beautify Heathcote River