As it happened: Christ Church Cathedral can be rebuilt
The Anglican Church has agreed to consider "reinstating" the Christ Church Cathedral.
The Government and the Church Property Trustees have announced a plan for the future of Christ Church Cathedral at a press conference in Cathedral Square at 4.30pm on Wednesday.
The plan means some parts of the church could be restored and others, such as the badly damaged front facade and spire, may given a different treatment.
See a recap of our live blog of the announcement and reaction below.
* Full coverage: Church to consider reinstating cathedral
* Christ Church Cathedral: why all the fuss?
* Sir Miles Warren design may break four year Christ Church Cathedral deadlock
* Cathedral parties keeping quiet on Govt-appointed consultant
* Christ Church Cathedral decision could boost city investment - developers