Christchurch City Council staff say they have reduced their controversial building consents' backlog.
A statement from the council tonight said figures showed there were 1185 current building consents being processed, with a backlog of 371.
The backlog, where processing has taken longer than the required 20 days, had been at 500 on June 17.
Since June 10, council has granted 317 building consents with a combined building works value of $89 million.
Regulation and Democracy Services general manager Peter Mitchell said the council was on track for clearing the backlog by June 28.
"A number of these consents were for residential and complex commercial projects - it is no small feat to get 129 of the backlog out the door in this short a time if you consider that each consent has about 200 components that must be reviewed under the Building Act 2004," he said.
Five more building consent officers have been employed this week, and nearly 50 consents have been sent to external building consent authorities for processing.
A newly-established telephone hub that takes phone calls from customers so officers can concentrate on processing technical information has also helped with productivity, Mitchell said.
Three staff from the Ministry of Building, Innovation and Employment have also been on site with the consents team to consider what further initiatives could be taken.
- The Press
Is the mayor correct to put libraries, pools and community facilities ahead of the Town Hall?Related story: (See story)