Justice precinct contractors sought
An updated timeframe for Christchurch's justice and emergency services precinct shows the likely $100 million-plus project starting next February and taking three years to complete.
The Ministry of Justice is seeking expressions of interest from quantity surveyors for the precinct, one of the 17 earthquake rebuild anchor projects required for the central city.
A preferred contractor is expected to take charge of the project in early 2014, says the Ministry of Justice expressions of interest document.
Earlier this year Minister of Justice Judith Collins said that plans for the precinct were "charging ahead" and looked on track to open in 2016-17.
The ministry is asking for quantity surveyors with proven interest in large Government projects, and in complex "fast-track" design and build projects of "$100 million plus" to make their interest known. The ministry is looking for a public facility that contributes to a vibrant urban environment in Christchurch.
Expressions of interest are due by the end of the month, with a short-listing of those parties around August 15 followed by requests for proposals.
The precinct will host an emergency operations centre including police, Fire Service and St John and Department of Courts and the Corrections Department including courts and "custodial suites".
The tender document says early works would start from February next year with the completion of stage three due in May 2017.
Completion of a preliminary design is due mid to late September, with a more enhanced design with structure, facades and base isolators expected around October-November.
A Christchurch architect, together with an Australian firm are understood to have already been appointed for the design side of the precinct project.
Stage one will include ground improvement works, with stage two including the construction of both the justice and police and emergency services buildings. The buildings will open up into courtyards.
Stage three will include the construction of a police carpark.
The tender document also detailed other organisations who will have staff located at the site including the Security Intelligence Service, the Department of Internal Affairs, the Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management. Christchurch City Council and Environment Canterbury will also have representation.
A spokesman for the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (Cera) said the justice and emergency services precinct was a project led by the ministry rather than Cera and its subsidiary Christchurch Central Development Unit.
Collins was not available for further comment yesterday.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Would you live in a factory-built home?Related story: Factory-built homes on way