New-home consents in Canterbury steady
New-home construction in Canterbury continues at a steady rate, with the region showing 369 consents in June, up from 296 consents issued for the same month last year.
However, the number of Canterbury consents in June was down from 494 consents in May, and also down from 397 in April.
The May total was the highest for the quake-hit region since a spike of 561 consents in March 2005, when new building legislation was coming into effect and consent fees were about to be introduced.
Statistics New Zealand figures show that consents for new houses and units from Canterbury councils have weakened from stronger earlier months throughout calendar 2013.
Statistics NZ acting Government statistician Dallas Welch said throughout New Zealand in June building consents were issued for 1487 new dwellings, including apartments, 160 apartments, including 39 retirement village units, and 1327 non-apartment dwellings.
The seasonally adjusted number of new dwellings, including apartments, fell 4.0 per cent in June.
But the trend for the number of new dwellings, including apartments, increased for the 27th month in a row.
The trend was now 73 per cent higher than its historic low point of March 2011, Statistics NZ said.
Of the new homes approved in June, 166 were in Christchurch, 79 in the Waimakariri district and 92 in Selwyn, the figures showed.
The building industry has been predicting the bulk of the earthquake-related rebuild will take place from 2013 to 2018, peaking in about 2016.
The Auckland and Canterbury regions continued to lead new dwelling consents, Statistics NZ said.
Together, the two regions consented 822 new dwellings, including apartments, in June 2013, 55 per cent of the national total.
Since September 4, 2010, quake-related consents in Canterbury have reached almost $1.1 billion. This comprised 938 new houses, of which 150 were relocatable units.
- The Press