Tense wait after offer on St Martins home

GEORGINA STYLIANOU
Last updated 05:00 05/04/2014

Deadline sales are evil.

I dropped the sealed envelope into the excessively large perspex box and felt like I was entering some sort of backwards Lotto - someone is going to get a lot richer, but it's certainly not me.

We were in the reception area of Ray White's Cashmere office and Robbie grabbed his phone to snap a blurry picture of me hamming up the moment we first put an offer in on a house.

We first viewed what I refer to as "The St Martins Gem" a couple of weeks ago and we liked it instantly. 

It's attainable but the location is second-to-none. The hilariously 70s decor and retro fittings provide room to add value to this dinky two-storey unit and the small backyard won't overstretch our unimpressive gardening skills.

The Gem also came with a real estate agent Erin Callanan who merrily answered all of our questions about the dreaded deadline sale.

Erin was also more than happy to partake in the rather naff smiling-while-handing-over-large-cheque photo. 

We were obviously excited because Robbie and I even took a joint selfie while clutching the long white envelope. But it took hours of negotiating before we got to the selfie-envelope-box part of this process. 

We had the latest rateable value and a list of recent sales in the area and that was it. 

We started off talking about a conservative offer with a bit more wiggle room because ''let's be honest, it's a small unit that needs a lot of work on the inside''.

This evolved to: ''It's a worst-house-best-street deal so maybe we should give it our best shot."

A week of useless listings on Trade Me (and by that I mean far too expensive) and our mantra became: ''I'm not sure how much better we're going to do.''

It ticks the boxes in terms of resale value - location, school zones and so on - so we decided to go for it and enter our best offer.

I feel reasonably confident but you never know which second-home buyer or investor is lurking around the corner.

All we can do now is wait until the big reveal on April 9. Robbie is touring the country this month and will be somewhere between Wanganui and Tauranga when we find out if our offer has been accepted, meaning I'll be commiserating or celebrating without him. 

All going to plan, we could be getting the keys to our first home on May 23. Fingers crossed. Touch wood. Do a rain dance. Pray. 

Do you remember putting an offer in on your first house? Comment below, email georgina.stylianou@press.co.nz or tweet @gstylianoupress

- The Press

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content