The Government has again extended the reporting date for the royal commission inquiry into the Pike River mine tragedy.
Twenty-nine miners and contractors were killed at the Pike River mine on November 19, 2010. Their bodies were never recovered.
Attorney-General Christopher Finlayson said the royal commission of inquiry into the Pike River mine tragedy had been extended until November 30, 2011, from September 28.
It is the second extension that has been granted.
In February the date was changed to September 28, 2012, from March 31.
"The royal commission will be reporting on the events leading to the Pike River mine tragedy and recommendations on the policy questions that arise from it," Finlayson said.
"However, preparation for a judicial review application involving the royal commission has diverted resources and delayed the drafting of the commission's final report."
He said extending the dates ensured the reports would not be compromised.
"Families and the public will still have answers before the end of the year."
The royal commission's costs associated with the extension of the reporting date will be funded from within its existing appropriations.
- © Fairfax NZ News