Man accused of $13,000 parking meter theft

ROBERT KIDD
Last updated 10:50 20/11/2012

Relevant offers

National

Children's Commissioner Andrew Becroft assures Indian leaders over violence Afternoon trivia quiz: October 1 Bizarre statistics around beehive thefts - where are all the hives? New Zealand strengthens ties with Sri Lanka Pets enjoy a social time at Wellington Cathedral Fatal crash near Clevedon, south Auckland H&M opens first store in New Zealand to more than 1000 fashion fans Royal New Zealand Navy White Ensign flying above Auckland Harbour Bridge Funeral for 19-year-old Lucas Cochrane who went missing in Whitianga Student loan borrowers seeking bankruptcy as millions in debts wiped due to insolvency

An unemployed Aucklander has been accused of smashing dozens of parking meters and stealing more than $13,000.

Birkdale resident Peter Alexander Rees, 44, appeared in the Auckland District Court last month facing 11 charges of intentional damage and 10 of theft, relating to 36 Auckland Council machines.

Yesterday he had four more charges added, taking his alleged spree to 46 parking meters, from which he allegedly took $13,104.06.

The alleged offending took place between October 12 and 29.

Rees' bail was opposed by police at his first appearance because they were concerned about the magnitude of the allegations.

However, bail was granted.

Judge Graham Hubble said the new charges changed the picture because they appeared to show he was accused of doing the same thing immediately after leaving court on October 29.

"It looks as though you've gone out and attacked another three machines and taken more money," the judge said.

Police also indicated they would charge the Rees with a bail breach at his next appearance after they went to the address and found it was vacant.

Judge Hubble eventually re-bailed Rees, who will appear again next month for a plea inquiry.

There was an indication in court Rees had made some admissions to police about the charges but his lawyer said he was still waiting to see the videotaped interview.

Auckland Transport spokesman Mark Hannan confirmed money had been taken from several central Auckland parking meters but could not comment further because the case was before the courts.

Ad Feedback

- Auckland Now

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content